Do not worry! Civil and Religious Weddings in Greece are fully recognised for all the nationalities around the world. 

Wherever you come from and whichever ceremony you plan, Aegean Dream Weddings will be by your side providing you with full assistance and guiding you step by step through the whole legal process!

One of the most important steps in your wedding planning process is to obtain the right documentation. The list of required documents varies according to the type of the wedding ceremony.

We, at Aegean Dream Weddings will assist you step by step in obtaining all the required documentation and we will provide you from day one, with specific information,and detailed guideline how and where to request and collect all the required documents according to your situation.

You should start collecting your paperwork about 3 months prior to your wedding. Once your documentation is ready, you will send their copies to us for review. This must be done, at least 4 weeks before your wedding in Greece. After that, you just need to bring the originals with you.

If you find it more difficult to translate the documents at home, we offer translation services for most languages as well.

In case you’ll need our translation services, you must send us the original copies by courier 6 weeks prior to your wedding date. If your documents are to be translated in your home country, please fax or e-mail them to us for reviewing 6 weeks before your wedding. Again, you need to bring the original copies with you. All documents will be kept by the town hall. Fees and charges about all the above will be added to your budget.

If you have any questions, do not forget that our Wedding Consultant is on hand to guide you and you will be sent reminders when it’s time to start getting your documents ready. 

Important Notes:

1. As the required documents vary for each nationality please contact us for more details.

2. If you are interested in a Catholic, Anglican or Orthodox wedding please contact us for more information, as the necessary paperwork may vary for every case and sometimes there might be some changes!


  • Bride’s and Groom’s passports

Valid (10 years ) passports of the bride and groom.
A simple photocopy of each passport is required. It is
not necessary to obtain an apostille or a translation.

  • Full Birth Certificate for bride and groom

(with both parent’s name) issued by your town hall. Bear in mind that “shorter” version of the Birth Certificate will not be acceptable.

  • Certificate of Non-impediment

or “Single status” letter for both parties. This document confirms that both parties are free to marry and can be obtained from your local Registry office/town hall,. Please note that it may take up to 1 month to obtain and it mustn’t be issued more than 3 or 6 months (depending on your country) before your wedding day.

  • Divorce Decree Absolute

If any of you are divorced, a certified copy of the Decree Absolute must be obtained. (By Greek Law, you need to be divorced at least 6 months prior to have the right to remarry).

The original divorce certificate must be presented at the Town Hall, but it will be returned to its owner immediately.

  • Death Certificate

“Death Certificate” document and previous Marriage Certificate, if any of you is a widower/widow

  • Certificate of Changing Name

(Statutory Declaration) If either of the couple has had a name change. Please note this includes divorcees who have reverted to their maiden name.

  • Adoption certificate

If any of the parties was adopted . 

  • If either of the couple is under 18 years

proof of parental consent in the form of a Statutory Declaration is required-stamped and signed by a solicitor.

Important Notes: 

  • All of the above documents (except passports) have to be legalized with an Apostille Stamp by the Foreign & Common wealth Office. They need also to be translated in Greek at the Greek Embassy or Consulate and sent to us at least one month before the wedding day.   .
  • If you are living outside of your native country, then the Certificate of No Impediment must be applied for in the country in which you have stayed for over 21 days.
  • Witnesses: All types of weddings require the presence of two witnesses. They should have their passports, or Greek identification cards with them, as well as photocopies. If the bride and groom are traveling on their own, our staff will be happy to offer assistance and act as witnesses at the wedding ceremony. 
  • Without the originals and generally the essential paperwork we will not be able to perform a wedding. Aegean Dream Weddings will not be held responsible if your wedding has to be canceled due to incorrect paperwork.
  • All papers must be translated and authenticated only by the Greek Embassy or Consultant or via our agency. No other source is acceptable!.
  • Bear in mind that all documents must stay in the Town Hall.
  • Translated Marriage Certificate is sent to each client up to 6 weeks after the ceremony as a legal proof of the marriage.
  • Please Don’t forget to bring the original documents with you!.

Apostille Stamp

Anapostille is a form of authentication issued to documents for use in countries that participate in the Hague Convention of 1961. So, the Apostille stamp legalises your copies and confirms that they are true copies.

In case your country does not belong to the Hague treaty then a verification stamped and signed by your foreign ministry or the Greek consul will take the place of the apostille stamp.”

You can check if your country is included in the countries that have signed the Hague convention, by clicking the following List of Hague Convention countries


The legal requirements you need to have for a Greek Orthodox wedding ceremony are those that apply to Civil marriages.

In addition to the documents listed above, it is also necessary that the following legal papers must be obtained in order to have your Orthodox wedding in Greece.

“Baptismal Certificate”:

  • Both of you must be Christians, baptized in the Name of the Holy Trinity.
  • One of you must be of the Greek Orthodox faith.
  • The “Baptismal Certificates” should be obtained from the parish of each party and be signed and stamped by the parish priest.
  • Must be original ones and NOT photocopies.
  • Priest’s signature on this document should be validated by the bishop of your local church.
  • A Greek translation of the document should be also submitted. (translations are valid only if made by the Greek Embassy /Consulate, or by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

“Certificate of Celibacy”

  • Both of you must obtain a Certificate of Celibacy from your local Parish priest as this document is giving you freedom and consent to marry.
  • Priest’s signature on this document should be validated by the bishop of your local church.
  • A Greek translation of the document should be also submitted. (translations are valid only if made by the Greek Embassy /Consulate, or by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

“Divorce Certificate” or “Absolute Decree”,

  • Divorce Certificateor “Absolute Decree” (if any) must be obtained from a judge and the Church, in case one of you had a prior Orthodox wedding.
  • A Greek translation of the document should be also submitted (translations are valid only if made by the Greek Embassy /Consulate, or by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

“Certificate of Faith”

  • You must both sign a document in a notary office, declaring that your children will become Greek Orthodox.
  • A Greek translation of the document should be also submitted (translations are valid only if made by the Greek Embassy /Consulate, or by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

 For more information about your Wedding in Greece contact us today! We are waiting to assist you with your every need!

aegean dream weddings logo